Search This Blog

Thursday, 17 May 2012

All About Organization!

If anyone really knows me, they know I am extremely scatter brained!! I have never been organized in my entire life, I've been a professional procrastinator for years know, I could seriously won awards. In high school teachers got tired of trying to deduct marks from my late assignments, because it was so rare that I ever had something done on time. It wasn't that I had trouble with the actual assignment, I just always though "meh, I'll get that done tomorrow" and then months done the road, 2 weeks before the end of the semester I would be pulling my hair out trying to get everything finished and in. I always pulled it off with flying colors and 90% of my work got finished. I think I just loved the chaos of it all, the pressure and the panic.

I've decided I need to cut that pressure and panic out of my life while I've going through the growing up process. I've been getting myself organized, neat and tidy. I'm a big "pinner" except with my new job and 0 time to pin, my board have been totally neglected of getting new pins, but also they need a terrible spring cleaning. It's on my list of things to do, but hasn't made top priority. [ If you are unfamiliar with "pinning" you need to go to pinterest.com right now and check it out. I LOVE finding awesome new ideas and I used to jam pack my computer full of saving photos and ideas to my hard drive, but now thanks to pinterest, there are virtual bulletin boards that save it right to your account!!! link to the idea and all!!!]

First step I have taken to get organized is tell myself I have to do it. I am not good at making myself do things when really they aren't "needed." But it makes life so much easier, less stress and gets alot more shit done. So I pulled out the white board calendar that I had bought myself months ago, when I decided to get organized, but put it off...yet again and nailed it to the back of my bedroom door for my to stare at. Always there looking back at me to remind me that I should write what I have to do down on it. I use it differently than most people. I don't like to plan a month in advance, I like to live a week at a time for the most part, so I write the right numbers for the week that I am on, beside the days of the week. then I use the columns below as lists. I fill these lists with what I have to do on each of the days that week.

this used to be almost bare, now it's filling up more and more  as I used it! Make this
 your first step and hang it somewhere that you will see it to keep reminding yourself.
I prefer whiteboard because you can use it weekly instead of a calendar that has the exact
date already posted.

Second step I took was take out a binder and start writing stuff down. I printed out a couple of cute printable pdf planners and tried to find things that fit my style. Like I stated I don't like to plan out a month at a time, but if there is anything I can't stand more is daily planning. I am just not ready for that kind of commitment yet. You know, I experimented with it once, tried it out for a couple of days, but it was just too advanced. So weekly planning is just my speed, not something that I have to constantly be looking at, and not something that I need to plan a big future with. It's not casual relationship, not a boyfriend that moved in and needs attention everyday and not a husband that it always asking, "so what's up three weeks from now?!"

A poor quality photo, but point is it's filling up and my printer is still
going!



Third step, I drove into it. I filled my binder! I started searching the web for all kinds of different, pretty printables to get my life on track. I also dragged my real life boyfriend (opposed to my casual weekly planner one that suits me just right - don't get me wrong, so does my real one) into it. Like most men he doesn't really care too much if his whole life is planned out, but he's been really supportive and helpful and tries to be alittle interested, but not enough to get in my way of doing things the way I like, my way. So I organize him and myself, because it's more fun when you include someone else, which means I chatter away at him about it and he goes along with what I say.

So now I have a bedroom door that is filling up with bills, to do sticky notes, weekly and some monthly things that need to get done, along with my binder of organized life. I'm pretty proud of myself for putting this all together and some day I hope to be one of those people that knows exactly what they need to get done and when it needs to get seen to. Not one of the overly crazy organized people because I want time to breathe and let go to be messy and blah, but someone that just has their head on straight and does what needs to be done in the run of a day.

I HIGHLY suggest taking the step of getting organized, I always made disgusted faces at people that told me to time manage and get organized because it would help me from being all scattered inside my head too. This is VERY true, it's like the inside of my brain can stop working over time, because I was able to write everything out that needed to get done, I can stop thinking about it before I go to bed. I mean just because I wrote it on the calendar doesn't mean it will get done right on that day, but atleast it's there and I know that I can move it to another day. So that I won't forget about it and remember right before I fall asleep and worry about it for hours!!
My sleeping habits have improved SO much since I started getting organized, if you are one of those people who lie awake at night thinking about the trip to the grocery store that you need to make this week and you're walking with your cart inside your brain picking up things your need, sit up and write it down, or start what I have started. It really works! For years I had chronic insomnia because I was always lying in bed thinking about things I wanted to happen and things that I needed to get done. It would take me 1- 4 hours to get to sleep, now it takes 30-60mins MAX! You don't need to jump right in and over whelm yourself with getting organized, just slowing start it, but remember to start with "making yourself do it" you have to take that big step that insures your will do it for longer than a week, once you've done that, the rest comes so easily.

Here are some sites that I found printables :

http://organizedhome.com/printable/household-notebook/weekly-planner
http://getbuttonedup.com/tools/
http://www.designfinch.com/2011/07/31/sunday-planning/
These three sites are by far the best that I have found for selection and looks.

http://www.evelynkatedesigns.com/2011/05/weekly-cleaning-calendar-printable.html - for those who need help cleaning
http://www.livinglocurto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Blog-Weekly-Calendar.pdf - for those who need help keeping up with their blogging!
http://thepeacefulmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/TPM-Password-Keeper.pdf - a password keeper for websites and logins with all your different passwords, this definitely came in handy with me! (excuse the peaceful mom part, I am not a mother, but the printout still comes in handy when having multiple blogs, accounts, and soooo many websites and online shopping accounts, etc!!!)



http://www.creatingkeepsakes.com/content_downloads/Photo_Labels.pdf  - I haven't used these yet, but I definitely plan to! I just need to make a trip to walmart and get some of my photos printed so that I can put these to good use!

I'll definitely be posting more tips and ways to organize as I start finding them myself! I love that it's made my life much easier and I would love to help someone else breathe alittle better or sleep a little longer at night!

Stay Happy!

3 comments:

  1. you are nutty! i could never do all this aha. proud of you though, you old lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very old lady-ish or soccer mom-ish, but it really has helped me get everything straightened out in my head :P

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! I'm going to adopt your methods!

    ReplyDelete